Peace, is something that I need a lot of at the moment as my home can be really loud for a whole variety of different reasons. Sometimes, it is my children not agreeing with what they have been asked to do (Read: 2 girls who can shout a lot). Sometimes, they are playing in a way which seems incredibly loud to my post-surgery self. At other times it is the noise which emanates from the stereo or the WII. And then there are the friends which come to play occasionally.
Since, coming home from hospital I have learnt a lot of things about myself and how I deal with things. One thing I now know is that I need peace and quiet; a small oasis of it each day. I didn't realise how much until recently. Realistically, I cannot crawl into a cave each day so I am trying to crave out areas of peace within me and without. I am learning to make peace within even if the outside world is crazy.
From my reading of the scriptures I glean Jesus needed peace too. He had the peace of God within His heart. I need that and I thank God, that it is more evident nowadays. I can cultivate that by reading my Bible, helpful devotional books, prayer and hymns, friendship with other Christians; basically developing a stronger relationship with Jesus. Another way to have an inner peace is to stop comparing myself to others. I have to work on being me; sometimes I will look the same as the people around me and other times I will look different.
However, maybe because I have a weak faith, I am learning that I need some peace in my outside environment as well. The constant stream of noise which goes with 21st living is not conducive to stopping my transformation into a grumpy old woman. Unfortunately, I was not born with my mum's natural optimism towards life so developing inner peace is harder work. With that in mind, I am seeking out ways of getting peace/being more peaceful. Here are a few of my discoveries:
- Groove Shark has a large selection of relaxation music. Listening to it does something to my soul.
- Walking has a calming influence.
- I have recently discovered that I have a talent to style my girl's hair. Being creative brings its own calm.
- Reading a whole variety of different books.
- Playing the piano. OK, so technically, that produces noise but somehow it makes me more peaceful on the inside.
- Searching for positive things and writing them in my special note-book.
- Actively seeking good positive friendships.
- Making this quote one of many to live by: "Don't let the beggars get you down."
- Excepting the real me and being positive about the achievements I have made.
- Finding the peace of God through a better friendship with Him.