Wednesday 22 February 2012

Caesura

Caesura - A friend of mine wrote a poem based on this word.  Technically, it is pause in a line of poetry or music.  I like the word and I remember liking the poem but can't find a copy of it now.

Today, is the start of Lent.  Last night we had waffles instead of pancakes but they are more or less the same thing.  Usually, that is where my Lent observation begins and ends.  This year I read a blog post about how to mark Lent, and one thing was to cut Internet time.  If I was brave I would unplug completely but I am the type of person who needs to make my goals achievable otherwise I fall at the first hurdle.  Also, there are some websites that have helped me develop good exercising practices so I will keep going with those.

I realised that like most people of my generation I spend way too much time on here.  Also, like my generation I try to pretend that I don't.  So last week I faced up to facts.  I decided that for Lent this year I would get my Internet usage into perspective.  I have placed Facebook, a PW Forum and some blogs into my computer's 'blocked sites' list and will not be using them until the end of Lent.  I had to do this because I know left to my own devices, I would be back on them by the end of the week.  So, if your blog has gone in there it is nothing to do with you, just the amount of time and energy I was spending on it.

At the end of the time, I will re-evaluate things and I may cut my Facebook friends list down.

God willing, I will use the time I save to:

  • Spend more quality time with my family, without the haze of a computer screen in my glasses.
  • Spend more time with God.
  • Spend more time with friends in my town.  Build real-life friendships.
  • Spend more time building up my long-distance friendships, some of which are only there because of the Internet.
  • Do more thorough cleaning.  My house is pretty tidy but there are lots of areas that don't get done which should.
  • Read more books.
  • Listen (or watch, using iplayer ironically) to some Lent Lectures.
  • Rebuild the margins in my life.
  • Develop real hospitality in my home.
  • Keep cooking and learn more skills.
  • Maybe, start a needle craft again.
I think that is enough for the moment or I will be in danger of settings the bar too high and then I will fail. 


No comments: