Thursday 1 September 2011

Getting into a pickle.

I used to make a lot of jams and chutneys.  Then we moved and our garden is a great deal larger but doesn't have half the fruit trees as our last one.  In fact, we have one pear tree that will produce 3 tiny fruit this year!  Our last (relatively small) garden boasted a plum tree, an eating apple tree, 2 cooking apple trees and elderberry tree!  We were near to good supplies of blackberries.  Each year my husband grew tomatoes which never ripened so we were able to make green tomato chutney.  For years, we rarely had to buy jam or chutney!  

Our move here meant I stopped making supplies for various reasons, some of which were the lack of fruit-producing trees in the garden.  So for 3 years nothing has been pickled or jammed from my kitchen.

However, this year I have made 3 jars of green tomato pickle as well as 5 ordinary jars and 1 large jar of rhubarb and sultana chutney!  I have loads of blackcurrants in the freezer and none of us are keen on the taste so I am planning on making some jam.  A friend has a large supply of apples which could easily be chutneyed.  My problem:  is a lack of jars to put the stuff in.

I have had a wonderful time making this stuff and it is good to be back in the home-producing business again. :)

Just some of the finished products, they wont last long in my house!


No comments: