Friday 10 December 2010

Baby blues

 There are some days when I miss the fact that my children are no longer small.  I miss that I missed nearly 2 years of my eldest daughter's life.  I hate that there is another mummy she thinks about.  I miss the babies I lost.  I miss the fact that I didn't have a birth child.  I miss the fact that none of my friends have babies that I can cuddle.    Sometimes, it just plain hurts. 

Back in the day when I adopted my two girls I naively believed these thoughts and feelings would fade away to nothing; and thank God for the most part they don't plague me.  Just today.  I was at the school play yesterday and saw a tiny baby and that longing came back.  I know that it will be there for a while and will go again.  It hurts though. 

I have two beautiful ragamuffins to keep me busy.  I work in a school and am surrounded by children.  So I am blessed.  So I will take a deep breath or two and wait for this to pass.  And I will long for heaven when these thoughts will never plague me again.  To quote my daughter's favourite verse:  He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.  There is hope.

3 comments:

Pam Terrell said...

Elizabeth, I have just said a prayer for you. I think as mothers that this feeling never goes away. It doesn't matter if we have children through birth or adoption, I think a mother's arms feel kind of empty without a baby. I'm almost 43 years old and my youngest will be 14 on Monday and I still have (painful) bouts of baby fever, wishing I had just one more child. But if I had three children I suspect that I would always want just one more. Hugs!
Pam

Shelley said...

Thanks for being real - may you continue to cling to the HOPE you know is real - Jesus!

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

((((HUGS))))