Thursday 26 November 2009

Heaven and Hell, fact or fiction?

Recently, I read this article posted by a friend on Facebook. It caused to make me think about why I believe in Heaven and why that belief gives me hope in this world.

As a Christian I believe my Salvation (and therefore my place in Heaven) is through the grace of God. I love the passage from Ephesians 2:1-10 which explains it better than I could. Jesus spoke a lot about Heaven and that is another reason that I believe it is a real place. He told the thief on the cross that he would go to Paradise that day. He explained to the disciples about the place He was going to prepare for those who believe in Him. Heaven to me is a place that I will go to when I die. I will serve and worship Jesus in my perfected self forever. I will not fail Him by my sinful ways, I will not struggle to come to terms with what my life brings my way, I will not cause others pain or hurt, I will always be joyful and many other things. I look forward to the place which is Heaven and can't wait to see how God has designed it.

I don't like to think of Hell but I also believe that is a real place. I believe with my whole heart that God is a God of love but He has other characteristics as well and one of those is Judge. It is not something I think about much but it is true (I believe). He is a righteous Judge and He will do what is right. If an earthly Judge has to make rulings on wrong-doing how much more so will the heavenly Judge. Sin cannot go unpunished and if we don't accept that Jesus took the penalty then we will have to do so ourselves.

For me believing in a real Heaven and Hell gives me hope in this life. When things are tough I can hold onto the believe that God is Love and He will do what is right. The realities also make me more aware of the need for me to go, be a light in a dark world and to tell people around me the good news of Jesus.

If you agree please let me know. If you don't then let me know as well. Please point me to Bible verse whatever you think so I can learn more.

No comments: