Wednesday 22 August 2007

Building 'Church' memories for my children.

I was born and brought up in a Christian home and for that I am thankful. Those who know me in RL know that I don't have many memories (think Dorie the Fish on 'Finding Nemo' and you can't go far wrong!!!) but I do have a few.

Some of the strongest memories I have are of the church I was brought up in and I was reminded of them today whilst listening to a Wes King album.
  • I remember the parties at Christmas when we all piled into the 'Sports Hall' of the church and everyone joined in the games, mostly revolving around food and chocolate.
  • The summer outings when they were whole day affairs consisting of a trip in the morning and races and food in the afternoon. Large trestle tables heaving under the weight of all the vituals so lovingly prepared. I never won any of the races but I packed a decent amount of that food away.
  • The wonderful choruses we used to sing. Led by our lovely Sunday School leader.
  • My Sunday School teachers who taught me so much of the bible. A confirmation of what my parents thought me at home.
  • Learning bible verses so I could get my Covenantors badge and the coloured pieces of felt that went with it!
  • Having a service long 'foot-fight' with my brother and then being really told off by mum.
  • The old godly Christians who took time with us young children and befriended us and prayed for us as well.
  • Mum and dad's friend who would come around often for meals and the presents he would give us at Christmas.
And the list goes on. I really want my children to have similar memories of church. They love it at the moment but I want them to cherish what they do at our Fellowship. It is part of my job to build them for mine and the other children we are blessed with here.

No comments: